Sunday 19 June 2011

A GOOD DAY TO DIE by Gustavo Maglioni A dialogue between Demian and Winnie from “Happy Days”


One day Demian decided that his existence was absurd. He had lost everything, even the sense of living, so he went to the desert for a walk. The sun was as big as the mountains and there were no clouds in the sky. The sweat of his forehead made his eyes burn but he didn’t care about it, that walk was because he was looking for a reason to live, so that reason was the only important thing about life itself. He kept walking.

The LSD took effect after an hour, the sky was brighter and it had a green color because of the sun. He realized that some road signs started to show him where to go. He took that path because he couldn’t do anything else. Suddenly, he noticed a woman shape but he needed to get closer in order to see all the details of that woman. He kept walking.

He calculated ten minutes since he saw the woman shape, in fact, it was three hours since he realized Winnie’s shape. Winnie was a woman embedded up to her bosom.

Winnie: Hello stranger! What brought you here to see how I suffer?

Demian: I’m looking for a reason to live or to die.

Winnie: [looking him with pity] and is that the reason you’re frowning those lovely eyebrows?

Demian: I’m like this, there is no reason. My life has no reason or purpose. I perceive everything that surrounds me like something normal. Nothing has an explanation.

Winnie: I’m not asking you anything! Please be quiet and listen to me! My life is a constant suffering, look at you, you’re handsome, and you can also speak with all the people you want. So, why you complain about life? I’m so lonely here. I cannot talk with anybody, can I?

Demian: [looking to the sand] I’ve done questionable things. Drugs have killed my brain and now I cannot distinguish between fantasy and reality. I forget how to live.

Winnie: Why you’re always telling me things I did not ask? Are you listening to me? You said you did not have a reason to live and now you tell me about all the things you have done. I cannot understand you. I have more reasons to die. Just look at me, you fool!

Demian did not want to listen to that woman. He just took advantage of that situation because he did not speak to anyone since he killed his wife.

Demian: I can realize your situation. However, your senses are fine and you haven’t lost your beloved people. I killed my wife and the man I used to love. I lost my family because I thought my dreams were more important. I know half of your body is embedded but since you haven’t lived some things, you don’t know what it’s like, you don’t have a clue.

Winnie: Oh dear, I have lived more things than you can imagine. Don’t tell me about life because I’m life itself. When you live you can perceive some things and the other things are hidden until someone shows them to you. Life does not need a purpose you just have to live.

Demian: You may be right but how can you prove it? I don’t know you and half of your body is hidden. I want to see it.

Winnie: Be my guest! But be careful because my legs are rotten and you can find some scorpions or snakes.

Demian: Do not worry I’ll be careful.

Demian started to dig into the sand while “Set the controls for the heart of Sun” (a song by Pink Floyd) started to sound in his head. Winnie was right, her legs were rotten and smelled like sulfur. In that moment he met the hidden part of life, things that are rotten and what people don’t want to show to the others. The song ended and a red aura emerged from Winnie.

Winnie: This must be the best trip you have ever had. You had a reason to live. That reason was this moment. Now you know that what we know from our universe is just an illusion of something beautiful, just hypocrisy! But the truth is that everything is rotten inside. Everything is sulfur. Now you have a reason to die. Now you know what life is. Take that gun from your pocket and do what you need to do.

Demian: Thank you.

The sun was black and the sky was gray. It started to rain. The red aura consumed Winnie’s body. The tears of his eyes were tears in the rain. Now everything was different. He knew everything about the existence. There was no reason to live. He took the gun and put it into his mouth. He pulled the trigger.

Instead of blood there were colorful butterflies.

Tomorrow is going to be a different day for Demian.

1 comment:

  1. "Life does not need a purpose you just have to live." this idea embodies a principle hardly accepted by most people. it's hard to take life as it is, here you present it in a poignant way. mankind it's a questionaire seeking for answers true of false ones. hostil environment and pessimistic thoughts altogether occur as a beautiful portrait of truth. this character accepts it and takes a stand: staying or leaving. enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete