Thursday 16 June 2011

Delia's Best Friend

With her Scotch in her hand, she goes out of the office. She walks through the hall, knocks on a brown door and her boss answers. Come in! She enters and with a serene voice says:
-          It’s time for me to go. Have a nice day.
Delia goes back to her office, takes two pictures of her two sons that are on her desk, a small cactus, and her red purse. She goes out of the building. She is crossing the street when she runs into Winnie.
It’s been years since Delia hasn’t seen her. They used to be really good friends. They met when they were eleven years old and Winnie has been always so kind that Delia didn’t doubt to invite her to have a drink at her house but instate Winnie invited her to go to her house because she didn’t want to leave her husband alone. Delia didn’t have any trouble with that, actually she felt excited. They started to walk and all of a sudden Winnie says: - you don’t have to go if you don’t want to. It’s been very nice of you just to say hi. Delia felt confused about that commentary so she just smiled and said nothing. All of a sudden Delia found her self in the middle of an unknown place. They were in a mountain and Delia couldn’t understand how. Winnie invites her to have a sit and she pretends not to see the expression of confusion in Delia’s face.   
Winnie: Are those your boys in that picture?
Delia: Yes. They are grown-ups now.
Winnie: Isn’t it that wonderful?
Delia: Yeah. (Delia looks around. Where to sit, she wonders. She doesn’t want to get dirty)
Winnie: What a beautiful cactus you have there.
Delia: Yeah. (Delia keeps looking around) 
Winnie: Why do you keep looking around? Is there something here you haven’t seen before? I know Willie has become older and quitter but… even you knew that it was going to happen. He was going to get tired of me. Didn’t you say that the time I told you we were going to come here to live forever together?
Delia: Yeah… I know. I don’t know what is going on with me. Maybe it’s just that it’s been so long since we don’t see each other. (She pauses and later smiling says) I felt so happy when I saw you.
Winnie: Me too honey. That’s the most beautiful feeling in life. Isn’t it?
Delia: Yes. It is. You always reminded me my childhood. Always taking that bag everywhere. I used to have a gone too, you know? (Pause) I loved it since the very first time I saw it. I loved all the possibilities it could give you.
Winnie: Well you know I really like it. I love this kind of things that give you possibilities. Isn’t that wonderful about life?
Delia: So… What have you been up to?
Winnie: Well the housework keeps me busy.
Delia: How is Willie?
Winnie: He is sick and tired of me but he is still there. Always being so patient. Isn’t he wonderful?   
Delia: you always used to say he was all you needed. Isn’t it a little bit lonely here? What does Willie say?
Winnie: He is comfortable here, that is why we haven’t move from here. You know I do everything for him.
Delia: I wish I had the patience you two have. Do you remember Antonio?
Winnie: yes! Wasn’t he wonderful? I bet you must be very happy with him.   
Delia: I am since we split up. Now we are neighbours and really good friends.
Winnie: that’s wonderful. (She pauses to think) Did he get tired of you? Did you get tired of him?
Delia: We both got tired and as you used to tell me “there is always an election”. Right?
Winnie: Yes. You are right but haven’t you been feeling alone?
Delia: YES. I HAVE. I HAVE. I’VE BEEN TERREBLY ALONE. (Passing her fingers trough her hair) Today I realized I don’t have to work anymore so… I quit and to be honest Winnie I’m scared. Don’t you have Scotch here? Talk to you it’s always hard without Scotch.
Winnie: you know I always do.  There you go.
Delia: Thanks. You know me very well. All I know to do is to work but you were right the last time. I was using work to escape from myself.       
Winnie:  you have always done that. Don’t you remember the last time we saw? We were at your bedroom and you told us you didn’t want to see us again. I followed you all day. You stopped drinking on Saturdays thinking you would stop seeing us. (Smiling) I’m glad you have come back.
Delia: did you always know that Antonio and me were going to separate?
Winnie: Some how I did. Antonio didn’t seem to be so patient as my Willie.
Delia: what am I going to do now with all this freedom Winnie? (Delia takes the gone in her hands and observes it)
Winnie: (staring at the gone) why don’t you come to live with us? That gone has always been giving you that wonderful possibility. We could live happy days here. Don’t you think?
Delia woke up scared in Antonio’s house. She was beside him. She had been drinking with him after she left the building. She stoop up and decided to travel to Argentine that day because she remember she has always loved Tango. 



2 comments:

  1. I love this dialogue. You describe very well the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this. I can clearly see your character. Good work.

    ReplyDelete